Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What the fashionable runner wears

Since Conor is out buying something black and lacy for Sinead to wear while running, I thought I'd add my two cents.
The last few weeks I've been having issues with what I'm wearing (freezing my butt off) and think I have it down now. Getting the temperature right makes it that much easier. So what I'm recommending at the moment for the 2° - 10° C and wind / rain;
Adidas Clima Cool long sleeve top (or any wicking long sleeve) under a t shirt. Then an Adidas light waterproof jacket. These top off a pair of Dunnes finest trackie pants. Add on a cap (Munster Rugby) and a pair of Thinsulate gloves (3 quid from Dunnes), this creates the must have look in fashion this season.
Runners World have a calculator to give you hints on what you might want, you can check it out here. I'll post a pic after my next run.

3 comments:

Sinéad said...

Seeing as we're all putting in our tuppence'orth of advice, I'd recommend that you leave off the trackie pants. They're too heavy. Especially if they get wet because (a) you're sweating like a whore and/or (b) it's raining.

Instead go for some full-length or 3/4 length technical leggings. The closer the fit the better too, not because we want to see whether or not you've been circumcised, but because there'll be less drag if they're wet...

Gerry said...

I do have a pair of those (I use them for dry suit diving) but don't think I can go out in public wearing tights unless I have a pair of tightie whites above them and a cape to match.

Sinéad said...

Get a slightly looser pair then... or wear a pair of running shorts over them. The object of the exercise is to end up looking good and feeling great (as well as whipping your ass in the final show-down!), not to look good while exercising. (Although, of course, I do!)

Unfortunately, we haven't really chosen a sport that makes you look good while you're actually engaged in doing it. Unlike, say, horseriding or sailing. Mmmm, sailors...